Tuesday 27 September 2011

Coincidentally as class we watched a short horror film called "The Insane". This was a great influence for myself and Ciara as it confirmed and highlighted stereotypical horror film conventions. 


Below is the short film 'The Insane'; 






We analysed 'The Insane' in an essay format answering the following question... 
'Does the 'The Insane' use media language effectively to meet the conventions of the horror genre?'


I was very pleased with my grade from this essay, I managed to get 76% equalling a B. I think i gained this grade from my use in media language and technical terms, something in which i learnt from my previous essay on the short film 'Smashed'. I found watching 'The Insane' very useful as well as it confirming horror conventions such as; 

  • Dark lighting 
  • quick editing 
  • hero and villain characters 
  • slamming doors, heart beats 
  • slow and fast sound track 


It gave great influence on editing and camera skills, teaching me new camera angles and showed how quick fast editing and the use of props  can build tension and change the reflection of the plot and certain characters. 

Below is my essay;