Friday 16 September 2011

In order to have our knowledge up to date we revisited media technical terms and applied our knowledge about media language when analysing a short film called 'Smashed' written and directed by Peter Snelling.


Below is an clip of the short film and my notes I made when anaylising 'Smashed' and a spider diagram which I used to quickly brainstorm and further my ideas about the short film;




























Even though I did learn about the basic media technical terms at AS I found this task quite difficult. When  I first wrote the essay I came across several difficulties such as my points were not as developed as they could of been and instead of anaylising the film it was as if I was telling the story of the film.

However when redrafting my essay I over came these problems and my grade increased from a C to a B. I achieved this grade increase, by using media language such as;
  • 'The council flat backdrop signifies the status and background of the characters'    
Instead of.. 
  • 'The council flat backdrop portrays the status and background of the characters'

By changing portray to signify I am showing the marker that I understand conceptual language and how to use it in my essay instead of just telling the examiner what happened in the film. 



Here below is my completed essay;